BC’s Bestsellers of 2013
Posted by helen on January 13, 2014
I now consider “pink label” as playline. I picked bestsellers from the Gold labels.
Bestsellers are not necessary the Best designs. edition sizes, prices, media attention, etc. all played roles.
1. Black White Beaded Gown Limited edition: 1,000
It was sold within a half hour, many of us dislike the napkin dress, but it sells. it’s a platinum label, the demand is larger than supplies.
The “inspiration” came from Gianfranco Ferre Spring 2009 black white two-tone strapless dress.
Miss Anne has the look.
Edition Size 13,000, she was sold out within days on BarbieCollector.com. her price on eBay has gone high. but it is going down. what made her a bestseller? perhaps it has:
- Larger Customer Bases: Coach is one of the leading brands (perhaps No. 1 among the Bags) that almost everyone knows. it has much more fans than collectible Barbie.
- Larger Distribution channels: both BC & Coach stores Carried her, Barbie Dealers, Amazon & other Dept. stores also had her. Stores in Hong Kong, Malaysia, etc had it first. The Doll hit Tokyo on Sept. 18, after she was out in USA Market.
- Media Boost: you can’t underestimate the power of Media when there are lots potential customers there. Coach did great job on promoting the doll.
- Price & Design: she was priced $100, Coach customers would not think she was too expensive, the doll comes with a miniature leather duffle bag, the same miniature bag is sold alone as a keychains for $45 in the stores. so many think $100 for the whole package is a pretty good deal. her fashion is very much “Urban Outfitters” style.
If you look around, it’s not too hard to spot a girl wears the similar outfits on the street.
3. CockTail Dress Edition Size: 14,200
If Mattel did produce 14,200 units, then, this doll is on the top of the bestsellers’ list. I don’t think Mattel actually made 14,200. if it did, the doll should have been seen everywhere, stores like Kmart, Target, Toy R US, Walmart, Amazon should all have Carried her. but I didn’t see she had branched out. where she went is a mystery, It would only make sense to me if her edition numbers were around 5,200.
tthe dress is very Vintage-inspired.
4. Luncheon Ensemble Edition Size: 13,000
the large production number made her widely available, reasonable price helped this doll to find desirable homes. many collectors own multiples. she once was $31 at Kmart
I wish the her outfs were in other colors, something like this:
5. haunted beauty vampire
she is not as popular as you think. she was supposed to be BC online exclusive, but she became a “shared exclusive”, she was sold at FAO.com, she is still available at FAO stores.
her Coat was originally from an old Avon Ad “fire & ice”, then, McQueen made it to its 2008 fall collection, Barbie, of course, followed McQueen.
the other 2013 dolls like glamour Dorothy, Tribal Beauty, Alazne, Blonds Blond Gold, Hervé Léger (was $72 on NM website), Trina Turk (was $22 with coupon code on YoYo website) etc. probably will be around for another year if no discount is offered…